Tuesday, May 1

Happy May Day!

Happy May Day!

May Day is a real holiday, if you were wondering. It's an old pagan holiday celebrating spring and fertility and flowers and different European countries all have put their own twist on it.

England celebrates by giving us a day off work! Next Monday is the May Bank Holiday - to which I say - hooray!

I learned from Wikipedia that the May Day bank holiday was created in 1978 and celebrated every year since until February 2011, when the UK Parliament was reported to be considering scrapping the bank holiday associated with May Day, and replacing it with a bank holiday in October to co-incide with Trafalgar Day, and creating "United Kingdom Day".

Oh, if only there was such a thing. I can only imagine the UK Day celebration supplies that would be available.

I was eager to celebrate May Day for a couple reasons.

The first being - May marks 6 months of life in London. I am half way through - over the hill. And thank bloody goodness I am! London's jolly good and all, but I miss New York and everyone in it - SO much. And John's Pizzeria. The pizza here is so weird. It could be one of London's biggest flaws.

The second being - May 1 marks the end of April, and hopefully the end of April Showers! I have never been so glad to see a month end.  Not only did April bring showers of freezing rain - but it also brought showers of the most unpleasant clients into my life. Everyday at the office was a struggle to keep calm and carry on! I have been a college graduate for a year now, which is crazy, and I must say I like the working world even less than I thought I would.

Offices, meetings, clients, hours.....who came up with this system? It really was a horrible idea.
I've always considered myself a people person, so I naturally assumed I would enjoy working with people. But Wrong-O. People are nuts!

If I could go back in time, I would go become a Vet. Then instead of dealing with mean human clients, I would have cuddly puppy clients. Oh, if only....

The final reason I enjoyed celebrating May Day is - May is the beginning of Summer! Summer = warm weather. Not here in the land of rain of course, but elsewhere. Like in Venice, St. Tropez, Greece, Istanbul, Marrakech - and I have some big travel plans for the next 6 months! Get your passports ready!

April did end on a good note, which is always a good thing. I closed two big projects, and then celebrated by making my mom's mac n' cheese for my co-worker and her English lad at their flat.

This was the first time I have properly cooked anything since I moved here. I am aware of how sad that is - but mind you cooking for 1 is difficult, and the kitchen in my flat is a disaster, and M&S has all these cheap, relatively healthy and tasty, perfectly portioned meals that heat in minutes that I live off of.

It was really nice to eat something home-cooked! And extremely cheesy.

I went to find sharp cheddar and swiss - the mix I prefer for my mac, and of course could not.
So, there in cheese aisle, I was faced the dilemma of figuring out which mix of cheeses to try that would get on well together.

I went with a mature british cheddar which I have tried and liked, an emmental which is what is in crepes so I knew I couldn't go wrong there, and then a double gloucester  - which I had no idea what it would be, aside from the packet description of strong and savory.  I mixed, melted, baked, and hoped for the best!

30 minutes later, tt looked out incredible.
And after a month of dieting, it tasted even more incredible!

A Cheesy Dream-Come-True

It's success inspired me to start cooking more. So, tonight after Barrecore I "cooked" a spinach and broccoli salad to try to reverse the damage done by the noodles above, and watched "Will and Kate: The First Year" on the tv with my flatmates.

It re-caped their first royal year of marriage, highlighting Kate's greatest fashion moments, their bonding with the Obamas, and of course - the gossip and rumors surrounding the royal lovebirds.

Just a year ago, Kate signed her life away to be a princess - and I signed my life away to be a working woman. Kate seems to be still in the honeymoon stage - with the tiaras and trips, royal appearances, balls,  and charity visits.


Me - I'm considering divorce.









No comments:

Post a Comment