Sunday, April 29

Royal Anniversary

Happy Anniversary Will & Kate!

Today is the one year anniversary of the Royal Wedding. For as big of a deal as London made out of the wedding, you'd think they'd do something for the Royal Anniversary - but no. Nodda. All the Londoners care about is the up-coming Diamond Jubilee.

It's mania actually. All the shops are filled with Jubilee bunting, union jack paper plates and napkins, crown-shaped pinatas, special jubilee biscuit tins and sprinkel-covered cakes. It is nutty! I'm not going to here for the Jubilee, and honestly don't care about the Queen Regent reining for 60 years. Kate is much more interesting in my opinion. I think 1 succesful year of marriage is far more difficult thing to accomplish than 60 years of having your life paid for by the people of your country.

I remember last April 29th all too well. I had surgery in the morning, so I woke up beforehand to see the car drive through the rainy streets to Westminster, and suddenly discovered I was obsessed with this real- life fairytale when I sawKate step out in that gorgeous McQueen.

My surgery left me immobile for the entire weekend, and so I laid on the couch in a pain-killer induced comma with my yorkie and watched the Royal Wedding reruns about 18 times.

I never would have thought last year, watching London pass by on television that I would be living here this year - armed with umbrellas.

I wish I had an exciting weekend to tell you about. But thanks to the constant downpour of rain, wind, and frost that is England's weather, I spent the entire weekend either curled up in my flat, in pain in the barrecore studio, or in a grocery store stocking up on health food (and chocolate).

I've been to Barrecore everyday since I signed up, so today was my 11th class.
I'm pretty sure the reception girls think I am loony bins. When I signed up, they said,

"if you really want to see results, we tell you to come 4 times a week"

Ha! How England. Yes, I will come 4 times a week and spend the other 3 at the pub and see my body transform overnight! I am almost half way through my unlimited month, and pretty sure I may be setting some kind of record.

Today before class I went to the new lululemon showroom that opened in Chelsea to take advantage of their free Sunday yoga class. I'm not really a yoggie, but I enjoy a good downward dog every now and again - and I thought it'd be fun to become a part of the lulu community here so I went.

The showroom was packed! Word is spreading fast that they have finally arrived in London, and a free anything in this city is so rare that I think it's added appeal. I ended up having to take the only free mat, which was right in the front of the room instead of the back corner that I would have preferred. I was so in my zen that I didn't realize a photographer was snapping shots of us all in action - but I found these on the Lulu Facebook page afterwards - and look who is front and center rocking her plank!


plank = pain
downward dog - that's me in the blue!

These pictures were taken in the beginning of class, shortly before the fire alarm went off for no reason, and we all had to evacuate the building! It was so sad. My friend and I waited outside with all the other disappointed yoggies while the manager tried to get the fire department to come turn off the alarm, but after 10 minutes with no help in sight, we took off to grab some lunch before Barrecore. So, next week - we will return!

We munched on healthy tartines at the Chelsea Quarter Cafe while we talked and prepared ourselves for pain we were about to endure. We also spent some time drooling over the red velvet cupcakes piled with a mountain of cream cheese frosting, and the pain au chocolat oozing chocolat everywhere - but resisted and walked up to the studio instead for class.


I think I'm addicted to Barrecore because it's like being back in New York.
I walk through the doors, and am surrounded by Americans - mostly New York ex-pats I've realized - who have the same pink nikes and wunder under crops on as me. I overhear them complaining about the lack of wheatgrass shots and fro yo and I just feel - at home.


When I got out of Barrecore - I saw the most amazing sight I've seen all month.....

THE SUN!

It was actually shining. It only lasted about 12 minutes - but it happened.

I never understood the meaning of April Showers until now. This past month has been nothing but grey skies and drizzle, but here's hoping that April Showers really do bring May flowers, and a little bit of sunshine.

I'd like to show off my toned Barrecore legs in some short shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment