Thursday, September 27

My Final Fortnight

Two weeks from tomorrow, I will be on a plane back to Manhattan for the last time. Though I'm technically going 'home," I feel I am going to experience quite a bit of culture shock and be slightly out of the loop in my own city at first.

While I don't want to go - I am glad that I am returning in time for my favorite season, Autumn. I say autumn because that is what the British say. Autumn always brings so many wonderful and exciting new things in so many aspects...and my relocation is just one of them. 

TV show premieres are a highlight of the fall when the long summer of reruns finally comes to an end. I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Revenge, Modern Family, and as shameful as it is to admit it - Gossip Girl. As my friend here says, "I mainly just watch it for the outfits and restaurant ideas." 
Agreed.

Downton Abbey has already kicked off here - though it won't be premiering in America until January! So I will get half way through Season 3 before I'm uprooted and forced to wait months to find out what's happening at Downton.

In the music world, Green Day's new album Uno is out! I am an unlikely Green Day fan, but a fan none-the-less. All day at work today I listened to American Idiot, hand on the volume key to mute quickly before the swear words which were not office appropriate. I'm excited to have some new music for the treadmill... which I've started running on for the first time in years. 

In the area of culinary arts - Pumpkin is returning to menus. Pumpkin ice creams, smoothies, breads, muffins, lattes, donuts, soups, cream cheeses, seeds.... MmmMmmMmm. Pumpkin carving is a fall must for me, so I have already put some thought into what this years design will be - and it should come as no surprise that I'm thinking Union Jack.

But perhaps September's most exciting development.....JK Rowling's new novel, "The Casual Vacancy" came out today!! I of course already grabbed a copy today on my lunch break. 



I'm hoping I will be able to resist reading it cover to cover in one night like I did with the first 4 HP books. I'd like it to help me get through my upcoming oveseas flight . I can't say I'm sorry that this will be my last time spending 8 hours on a plane for while, or going through airport security and immigration. I'm rather sick of being interrogated every time I go in and out of the UK. The last time I came in they looked at my accumulation of stamps from the past 3 months and questioned if I am actually still employed by my sponsor company. 

"Well when do you work," the officer asked flipping through my passport pages.

HA!
As little as possible...

Everyday I am growing more and more sad about leaving the lovely United Kingdom. 
In the past week just normal dialogue between colleagues at the office often causes sharp pains in my heart... and I have to stop inappropriate responses from coming out of my mouth. 

"Hello love! How is everything - alright?" 
Would you consider marrying me in the next two weeks?

"Would anyone like a mini-a-chure scone and jam?"
May I take 7? I won't be able to get these soon.

"Right - I'm popping out for tea. Would you like anything?"
A British passport, please. Can you get me one of those at the cafe?

One of my best friends, who coincidentally is taking over my position at the office, arrives this weekend which is going to bring whole new life to this city and make me love it even more I fear. Having yet another pal to conquer the city with is only going to further endear it to me. And my flatmates are getting very clingy. I brought home moving boxes today and when my one roomie saw them she shrieked - "NOOOO!!"

I haven't actually gotten around to packing anything yet of course, because I am such a proctastinator. I also just can't be bothered spending my time with packing peanuts in my flat when there are so many other things I could be doing.

Like yesterday -  I had a meeting that took me to Harrods, so I naturally planned it for the end of the day so I could wander around afterwards. Despite what one would think - I don't spend that much time in there, and hadn't really explored every floor and room before, since the place is a maze of luxury. 

Of course my sugar-coated self started off my lustfull stroll through Harrods in the Food Halls, where the sweets literally sparkle and shine.





The new Toy Kingdom was perhaps even more wonderful than the bakery. A 3 year old's (or 23 year olds) paradise, stocked will frilly dress-up costumes, towers of stuffed animals, human-sized legos, and a "big top" circus tent inside. 

I spent a good chunk of time in the Pet Boutique, admiring the puppies, the designer doggie digs, and jewel encrusted water bowls.

But the Shoe Boudoir is where my jaw dropped. A small, dark-lit, dark-wood room that is so chic and so glam, that simply entering into it makes you feel as expensive as the price tags on the Louboutins. 




I was meant to go to the gym before meeting a friend for dinner, but I realized I was doing quite a bit of walking and I felt with my time running out, it was more important to spend it in Harrods than in SoHo gyms. So after doing my cardio by walking 5 floors of Harrods inside out, I went to meet a friend at Muriel's Kitchen in South Kensington, an amazing oasis of healthy entrees and not so healthy desserts.


We worked on planning out our final days together over butternut squash hummus and berry cheesecake: fitting in all the restaurants we still need to try, exhibits we want to visit, and places we need to go to dancing. I have a lot to do in the next two weeks.

In traditional me fashion, I'm planning about 7 different "leaving-dos," here in London and then a "welcome-home-do" or two once I'm back in New York. I like to over-celebrate events. One party is never enough. Neither is one cake. 

I don't know that comings and goings are typically events that involve cake - but they are in my book.
Most events involve cake in my book though. 
 
So the true countdown begins tomorrow. Two weeks left in the UK, a fortnight - if you will.
I cannot believe it has already been almost 1 year since I moved here. And I cannot believe that I honestly mean it when I say that if I could stay another year, I would in a heartbeat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment