Tuesday, September 25

Back to School

I've packed and boxed all my summer clothes and sandals. Fall is here. Out come the layers and the black, opaque tights. I started off the week in a very back-to-schoolish ensemble, which I put together after watching Clueless again for the first time in years.



The summer mentality of early days and Pimms o'clock is over as well. Today was my 9th consecutive day of work.... and it's starting to affect me. My hair is in a ponytail. That's key sign that I couldn't be bothered because I'm exhausted.
I worked all last week, Saturday in Monaco, and Sunday our trade show began so we were required to be in the office, and then jumped right into this week Monday morning.

This week at Chelsea Harbour there is a big, trade show going on, which means more people milling in and out than usual - which is a bad thing. But it also means every showroom has some type of goodies and drinks - which is a good thing! And every night there are big parties with all the same crowd in different venues around London. It's a fun week, but it requires a lot of cute outfits and a lot of chit chatting to the same people day after day and night after night...

The Harbour is only open to the trade for the week, and there are all sorts of interesting lectures, book signings, and events going on throughout the day. There are also some wonderful additions to the domes...like the sweet stand, and the champagne bar - where visitors and showroom workers like  myself can re-full throughout the day...


Sweet Treats!

Bubbly for all

I love this week because I take my lunch break to wander through all the showrooms munching on their assorted snacks! Cupcakes, tea sandwiches, mini scones and jam, prosciutto wrapped figs. It's free lunch everyday and something sweet is never in short supply. Our showroom went America- themed to celebrate our American roots. Homemade (by me of course) chocolate chip cookies and shots of milk.
But as a tribute to the English, we're blasting the tracks from "Let It Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers."

Happy dunking, Brits.

Last night was the big party that was thrown by the Harbour itself - and I must say they really outdid themselves. It was set in a room that had been transformed into an enchanted garden: moss covered all the walls and ceiling, and gorgeous, fresh flowers were covering every other surface in sight. Smartly dressed waiters were passing colorful appetizers on trays covered in daises and greenery, and blackberry gimlets, and edlerflower G&Ts were the drinks of choice. The soft, pink lighting gave the dark room a warm glow and it almost felt like things were growing as we wandered around, chatting with clients and friends. I recently broke the news of my departure to most of my contacts here, so it was nice to see a lot of them for what may be the last time.

We decided to get dolled up for the event, and had a massive sushi feast beforehand in the showroom - just us Londoners! A title I won't hold for very much longer....(tears)


The London Team, while I'm still a member of it. 

Among my favorite clients is a small studio in East London run by 3 english blokes who are always at every party. So when the garden party ended, we decided to come back to our showroom and raid the chocolate chip cookie stash before continuing onto the pub. 

We got on the topic of New York City over our beers, and one of the guys was telling me about his experience at Coldstone Creamery in New York - a place a friend said he MUST visit whilst in America. Hearing an English person describe a visit to Coldstone Creamery to you, as an American, should be considered a form of entertainment. I was nearly in tears from laughter by the end of his ten minute rant, and was reminded how nothing even remotely like that exists here.

I realized there is very clear distinction between the East London bloke, and the West London chap.
West Londoners are daper, proper, and likely still live with their parents in their enormous flat in Chelsea. They socialize on the King's Road or Westbourne Grove and wear colored trousers during the day and Saville Row suits at night.

The East Londoners are cool, artsy, and likely live in a colorful flatshare with 2 or 3 other blokes in Shoreditch. They hang out at the Queen of Hoxton and spend Sundays at Spitalfields, wearing Rag & Bone cardigans during the day, and great, printed button ups under their funky jackets at night.

As I'm beginning my search for an apartment in New York, inarguably one of the worst tasks that anyone could have on their plate - I'm considering the East and West side differences here. I've been a West-sider my whole life, and a Chelsea girl for 3 of the 4 years I lived in the city. So naturally returning to the 20s on 8th Avenue was my first instinct. But now I'm feeling a bit of been there, done that syndrome - and becoming thrilled by the idea of moving a couple avenues east and a lot of streets south. It could be a fun and totally new experience living in a different, younger, busier part of Manhattan.

At least live east for a few months until my superyacht job pans out... I'm actively pursuing a 68m M/Y that is Asia-bound....Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment