Friday, August 10

Bonjour Belgium!

Je suis arrivé en Belgique!

I have long wanted to come to Belgium. Mostly because of the waffles, but also for other reasons.
Like the chocolate, and the fries....

Actually, one of Belgium's greatest appeals for me is that it is a Francophonie, a country outside of France where French is the official language. I feel instantly at home anywhere where people are speaking French, so since I planned this trip alone, it was a comfort to know that language would not be a barrier, but rather a bonus! I never feel alone when I can wander down the rue saying "bonjour" to everyone I pass and smiling.

I arrived this evening in Brussels after a delightful Eurostar ride, dropped off my bags and hit the cobblestoned pavement for an adventure! It was sunset as I started my stroll and the sky was glowing pink - my favorite color. Parfait!

I love being in a new place! It's so exciting to walk down streets you've never walked before. It takes me ages to walk a few feet because I am stopping to investing everything I pass, peering through windows, and instagramming left and right. I was also on a mission of finding a place to eat dinner, which as Josh can tell you - can be quite an ordeal.

On vacation, I can't just eat anywhere. I want to make sure I am in the cutest place, with the best atmosphere, and the prettiest view, at the best table. This often involves me searching and evaluating for  a long time, looping around the streets, doubling back, checking out every menu and every street before I finally can settle. I get this from my mother, who does the same thing only to a worse degree.
It's genetic.

Tonight after a through search, I nestled into an outside table at the Cafe Leffe, overlooking the Place du Grand Sablon. It was quaint, it was bustling, and it had baskets of fresh baguettes on every table.


Leffe Blond, for the Blonde Parisienne

charmant!

Place du Grand Sablon


"You only?" the asked when I sat down. 

Europeans must not learn the word "alone," because this is always how they phrase the question, "are you by yourself? Something about "only me" sounds more depressing than "by myself" or "alone."

"Oui," I responded. "Je suis en seule."

I've really come to love my own company. There was a time I found it a bit odd to travel alone and dine alone, but now I quite like going on dates with myself. There are some serious perks: I don't ever have to compromise with myself, I don't get into fights with myself, I don't have different opinions than myself, and myself doesn't get frustrated with myself for searching for a dinner spot for 2 hours. Myself totally gets it, all the time.
Also, traveling alone means there is no one to witness my caloric binges, so I can pretend they never happened. It's kind of wonderful. 


Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather be strolling around with parents, or hand in hand with Josh, or skipping through the streets with one of my sisters - but I don't mind being alone. Pas du tout. 

So after sipping my Leffe and indulging in baguettes, I went with an amazing toasted goat cheese salad for dinner (that I sadly couldn't photograph because my phone had died already) and sat soaking up Belgium for a while before heading to find an ice cream cone.

The city was beautiful at night - all lit with old, art nouveau-ish street lamps like Paris. I walked up and down some of the fancy shopping streets devouring my Speculoos and Carmel ice cream sundae and grinning.

Alone with my thoughts and my ice cream in Belgium, I wanted to kneel on the street and shout a huge thanks to God for giving me the courage to move to London. Because moving to London made nights like this possible.

And though I feel guilty that my parents find it hard to sleep when I am roaming about Europe by myself, and I am sad that I choose to put an ocean between myself and everyone I love, and though I've cried a fair share of tears in the past 9 months - I'm so glad I'm here.

It's amazing, and it's also rather empowering knowing I can make it out there alone. Just me "only".

No comments:

Post a Comment