Sunday, February 19

Thoughts From a WAG

My life is becoming a series of plane rides, bus trips, and train tickets.

I realized today that not one weekend in February will be spent roaming the cute, old, streets of London. I kicked off the month in Granada, continued onto Oxford, and spent the past weekend in Blackpool at the biggest magic convention in the world.

Normally I would be thrilled to get to see a new English town, but Blackpool is not exactly cute and quaint like other places I've visited. Josh described it as the Myrtle Beach of England: A trashy, sea-side town with a crap beach, a run-down amusement park and a variety of even more run0down hotels. For some reason, this is the location the wizards chose to congregate. Maybe it's to remain inconspicuous, so no one catches on that they are wizards.

We are lucky enough to be staying in town's best B&B, The Gallery. Our "suite" is unlike anywhere I've ever stayed. It is really.... indescribable.
The entry door has no handle for one thing. If you know my current profession, you could understand how this is a particulary large problem.

Once inside, a series of doors appeared. Very appropriate for the theme of the weekend, actually.
Behind door number one - a shower!
Behind door number two - a toilet!
Behind door number three - a bed!
And there next to the bed, the world's smallest sink!

The camoflague-print curtains went very well with the vintage-Paris wallpaper, the chinese lantern functioning as a chandlier, and the huge mirror with a border of creepy 3D shruken heads.

Since Josh had to spend all day behind his booth demonstrating and selling tricks, I was originally planning on spending time lounging in the room or exploring the town.
However, turns out the only attraction to see in Blackpool is the Blackpool tower - which my cab driver told me was a "must see." I saw the looming, iron thing in the distance and decided to pass. The only tower I'm interested in is the Eiffel.

So I spent most of the day in the convention center at Josh's booth, trying to help him make a lot of sales so his attitude about this country would improve. Josh and Andi had a lot of success with their newest trick where a randomly chosen card appears in a picture "painted" out of the deck. They added some spins and dance moves when they performed it to get the crowd extra-excited.




Having been to a magic convention just a month ago, I thought I knew what to expect. The difference is - that one had a total of 300 people, and this one has 3,000. Instead of 5 dealers, there are about 100. The loonies were not really present at The Session - except for the grown man dressed as a dragon with his dog in tow. But being at the Blackpool convention was a lot like being at the Circus. Sword swallowers, clowns, and men in crazy costumes all around. There was even a tiger.


What's particulary strange for me is that Josh is a celebrity in this circus world. Everyone knows who he is and wants pictures, signed cards, and of course - to see a trick, or to show him one. Because I appear in nearly all his videos for his tricks as the "spectator" - they know who I am too.

We females are rare at magic conventions. The ones in attendance are mostly what magicians refer to as "Magic WAGs".
This, of course, stands for Magic Wives and Girlfriends.

Yes, I am considered a Magic WAG. But it is better than being referred to as a Lamen, which is how Josh used to desrcirbe me to his friends. A Magic WAG usually knows a thing or two about magic, is hard to fool, and helps her hubby out at the booth. After 3 years, I fit the title well.
I not only helped at the booth, but actually demo-ed a trick or two when Josh or Andi had a step away for a moment. I was total crap at it - but I did made a sale all on my own.

So what types of things can one expect to find available for purcase at a magic convention?

The hottest in haute-couture performance wear...




Magic wands in all colors, shapes, and sizes...



Balloon Animals....


and of course, a few dummies....



There was quite a nice selection of oversized clown shoes and face paint for the kid magicians, loads of gizmos and high-tech gadgets for the sauve magicians, viles of blood and cauldrons for the Lord Voldemorts out there, and of course a huge variety of cups and ball and magic rings and all the classic tricks for the new beginners.

Strolling around the dealer's booths was definitely interesting - but things really got exciting when the evening performances began. Among the many talented men showing their skills, the highlight was definitely the long-haired warlock man dancing with floating, mid-evil looking lanterns. Hands down.

I decided to call it an early night, while Josh continued onto The Ruskin - where 3,000 magicians pack into a 12x12, dark, musky bar to drink themselves silly and do tricks until the wee hours of the morning. It's very Three Broomsticks-esque. Minus the Butterbeer.
Trying to choose between that, and watching High School Musical 3 in the un-comfort of our bizarre hotel room was a tough call - but at 10pm last night I was tucked in, swooning over Zac Efron in my pjs, and happy as a clam.

So now I'm on the train headed back to London, and in exactly 12 hours I will be on the Eurostar to Paris. A last minute lunch meeting arose with an important French client, so I have to spend tomorrow in Paris wine-ing and manger-ing. Quelle dommage....

I'll be back in time for a last supper with Josh before he leaves the country for good, and I become one very sad and puffy-eyed Londoner. Perhaps I'll have to stop at Pierre Herme and pick up some of my favorite macaron to console myself once he's gone. If un macaron carmel burre salee can't lift my spirits, nothing can.


Bon nuit mes amis.




No comments:

Post a Comment