Friday, October 12

Cheerio, London.

The day has somehow come. In just a few hours I have to leave this city that has truly become my home, and everyone in it that has truly become like family.

Living in New York was something I always knew I'd do, and I felt at home from the minute I arrived and loved it everyday I was there. But leaving it was surprisingly easy. I was ready for something new. 

Living in Paris was a dream I fulfilled, everyday was like a fairytale to me, and while I didn't want to leave I knew I had to. I knew I couldn't stay there forever.

But living in London was something I never thought I'd do, and now I want to stay forever. At first, it was harder, scarier, and lonelier that I thought it would be, but I made it through the bad bit, and the result was incredible. I realized quite unexpectedly that I was totally in love, and what was more important -  I realized I can make it on my own. I came here not knowing a soul, not having a thing, and a mere year later I built an entire life for myself. So having to leave now, when I am honestly happier than I've ever been, when everything is perfect -  is, as the English say, "gutting.

I spent the morning sipping skinny lattes and peeling several flaky, buttery, layers off croissants with my two co-workers at a goodbye breakfast. I stocked up on biscuits and tartan-topped jams at my favorite spot on the King's Road, and on the way back to the office I snapped a final photo on the street where I lived, and said a proper goodbye to Chelsea.

Cheerio, Chelsea

I got several sugary sweet, goodbye gifts and cards this week from friends and co-workers, among my favorites is a mug-coaster in the shape of a digestive biscuit, and my new "english rose" ring, which I will be wearing daily to always have a bit of England with me.


But one card, from my dear friend Sarah who is my English twin, actually broke my heart into tiny bits when I opened it.



It has been lovely, and I am act-tually in sincere denial about the fact that I am leaving. I can't imagine that I am no longer going to hear British accents when I'm out and about, no longer going to break for tea and digestives everyday at 3pm, no longer to browse Borough market on a Saturday afternoon, no longer going to pop into the Tate for fun, no longer sit outside the pub with a cold lager and a group of mates while day turns into night.

So my bags are packed, but I'm not ready to go.
I cried the whole plane ride here, and I have a feeling I'm going to cry the whole plane ride to New York. But I know in my heart that I will be back soon. Whether it's just for a wee-kend, or a proper visit, or maybe for good....England's really just a stone's throw away.

So cheers, London. It's lit-trilly been fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment